So today is lounge room day. My lounge room isn’t too bad actually, I guess you could say I gave myself an easy day to begin with, but mostly that was because I also have family commitments and it’s easy enough to plan your workload accordingly.
I’m planning to de-clutter, organise and clean as I make my way around the house. My lounge room day consists of the front entry way into the house and the dining area as well, all pretty straight forward. You can find ways to collectively work through your house too, for instance maybe collectively going through all bedrooms together.
Now don’t forget to use whatever you have at your disposal. This includes other people, especially if de-cluttering involves things that belong to other people as these choices can sometimes be difficult.
My lounge room currently has limitations. My partner plays a lot of games, so he has more than one screen in the lounge room that I have to respect but everything else is fair game.
First of all you need a throwing out pile, and a “maybe” pile of things you’re not sure about yet. In the “maybe” pile should be the things you’re not sure you want to part with just yet. Keep these items for 1-6months and if you haven’t missed them in that time it’s time to ditch them.
- Shoes at the front entrance – throw out shoes that no longer fit and pack away the ones that aren’t worn often. Maybe even try investing in a shoe rack
- Sort through dvd collection – donate or sell what you don’t want
- Sort through cd and VHS collection – donate or sell what you don’t want
- Clear out the tv unit, put everything in it’s proper place – clear out old machines (dvd/vcr players and cd players, gaming concoles no one uses)
- Buy or make a place for storing remote controls
- Clear off and clear out under the coffee table
- Clear off the dining table – leaving only a centre piece and table cloth/placemats
- Sort kids toys – put away or throw/donate
Now for the cleaning side:
- Vacuum thoroughly
- Get the carpet cleaner out and attend spot cleans
- Mop the floor if you have tiles
- Get a furniture cleaner to the dining table and chairs
- Vacuum the lounge – clean cushions and underneath
- Clean out the filter on the air conditioner
- Clean the ceiling fans
- Clear window sills
- Wipe over the cordless/landline phone if you have one
- Wash toys
- Clean rugs
- Wash throw rugs
That’s pretty much it for me. I don’t have any kids, so I don’t really have toys laying around the house. Only my partners controllers.